Legally sound foreign corporate bodies and individuals who are citizens of the European Union are qualified to own Maltese ships.
The Malta Maritime Authority (MMA) requires the foreign corporate body to provide the following prior to the registration of the vessel:
- An original Memorandum &Articles of Association (Statute) of the foreign owner, or else a certified copy, certified by the Registrar of Companies in that country or by a qualified lawyer.
- A Good Standing Certificate of the foreign owner, issued by the Company Register on which the foreign company is registered.
- An original, legalized and apostilled legal opinion by a qualified lawyer in the jurisdiction where the foreign owning company is registered. This legal opinion must confirm the following:
- That the corporate records of the company have been examined;
- Details of the directors, members and holders of office of the company;
- Details of persons authorised to represent such company, bind the company with their signature, and to appoint a resident agent.
- Relative powers of attorney when and if such powers of attorney are required.
- An original Declaration of Appointment of Resident Agent, signed by a duly authorised representative of the company.
The Malta Maritime Authority may in addition to the above requirements in connection with the registration of a vessel on the Maltese Register by a non-Maltese company, request additional documentation to ensure that its conditions in relation to the foreign owning company are satisfied.
If the documentation requested above is not in the English language, a translation thereof duly signed and certified by a qualified translator will be required. In relation to the Good Standing Certificate and legal opinion, we will advise, as necessary, as to the relative date that should be given to this documentation.
A non-Maltese owner must appoint a Resident Agent in Malta to act on its behalf prior to the registration of the yacht or vessel on the Maltese Register. We may provide Resident Agent services upon request.