Malta Business Aviation
The Aircraft Registration Act, Chapter 503 of the Laws of Malta, (“the Act”) is the regulatory framework available in Malta for the registration of aircrafts and aircraft mortgages. Malta through the Aircraft Registration Act has also implemented the provisions of the Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment and its Aircraft Protocol (“the Convention”), following Malta‘s accession to the convention, further cementing Malta‘s reputation as an aviation centre.
Malta Aircraft Registration
The Aerodrome Licensing and Aircraft Registry unit is responsible for receiving, reviewing and processing, in co-operation with other units within the Department, applications for an aircraft to be issued a Certificate of Registration and included on the Malta Register of Aircraft.
According to the Malta Air Navigation Order the following may qualify to own and register an aircraft in Malta or own a share therein:
- the Government of Malta;
- nationals of any EEA State;
- undertakings formed in accordance with the law of an EEA State and having their registered office, central administration or principal place of business within the European Economic Area;
- in the case of aircraft to be used for the purpose other than public transport or aerial work, persons in favour of whom a permit of residence has been issued in accordance with the provisions contained in article 7 of Immigration Act.
In addition to the official application forms, the following particulars are required in order to proceed with the registration of your aircraft in Malta:
- A bill of sale or other proof of ownership of the aircraft;
- A copy of the lease agreement if the aircraft is leased;
- A de-registration certificate if the aircraft was previously registered in another state;
- A Statement on registered mortgages or similar encumbrances if so the case may be.
Malta Aircraft Mortgage
The Malta Civil Aviation Department provides for an aircraft mortgage register, which is similar to the one under the Malta Merchant Shipping Directorate.
Commercial Aircraft leasing in Malta
If commercial aircraft leasing is done through a Maltese company no VAT is to be charged.
Aircraft Maintenance in Malta
Malta offers a lot of facilities for maintenance of aircrafts. Lufthansa Technik is one of the major companies which offer such service in Malta.
A novel concept introduced by the Act is the concept of fractional ownership, thereby allowing an aircraft to be split among co-owners inspecified fractions or percentages. Each ownership interest may be annotated in the national aircraft register and in certificates issued by the Director General of Civil Aviation, who shall register the name, address and interest or title of the owner holding such interest.
For more information please contact us.