Schools in Malta
The school system in Malta is based on the British model and provides an excellent standard of education. Education is compulsory between the ages of 5 and 16. Expatriate families in Malta can choose one of the following types of school where their children can be enrolled:
- private international school;
- local state school;
- church school; or
- independent school.
There are some international schools in Malta and private schools with a good mix of international students:
- St Edward‘s College – a catholic boys‘ private school with a strong United Kingdom college influence and with high international education standards were the spoken language is primarily English (this is a boys only school);
- San Andrea School – a leading private school with a high level of education in Malta were the spoken language is primarily English (this is a mixed school);
- The Verdala International School – private school for boys and girls, offers an American-style education and prepare students for IGCSE and IBDP (This is a mixed school);
- Quality Schools International – school for boys and girls, offers Advanced Placement International Diploma and also supports curriculum preparation for the IGCSE.
Other private schools providing primary and secondary education include San Anton School, St. Martin‘s College, St. Catherine‘s High School. The first two are mixed schools but the latter is a girls only school.
Some expatriate families prefer local schools where the students are mostly Maltese and where the Maltese language is more diffused. The following are the popular local schools with expatriate families: De La Salle College in Cottonera, St Aloysius' College in Birkirkara, the Sacred Heart School in St. Julian's and St. Dorothy's in Mdina. The first two are boys schools and the last two are girls schools.
Interesting to note is that individuals who are attending school in Malta are eligible to a residence permit for the duration of their studies. If such individuals are minors, then one parent/ guardian will also be eligible for a residence permit for the same duration of studies of the minors under their custody.
Fides can assist their client to apply to a school in Malta. For further information contact us.